Location: Wakefield City Campus, Workplace
Level of study: Level 3
Full-time/Part-time: Part Time
Duration: 12-18 Months
Start Date: September and March
Day/Evening: Evening, Work Based
Course code: DPL3DEN
Awarding body: City & Guilds
As a dental nurse you play a key role in supporting dentists in caring for patients. This programme focuses on direct chairside work and enables you to learn and train on the job as well as giving you a recognised qualification that reflects your professional skills.
What you will study
Fifteen mandatory units:-
* Reducing risks to health and safety in the dental setting
* The role and responsibilities of the dental nurse
* First aid essentials
* Prepare and maintain environments, instruments, and equipment for clinical dental procedures
* Offer information and support to individuals on the protection of their oral health
* Provide chairside support during the assessment of patients’ oral health
* Contribute to the production of dental images
* Provide chairside support during the prevention and control of periodontal disease and caries and the restoration of cavities
* Provide chairside support during the provision of fixed and removable prostheses
* Provide chair side support during non-surgical endodontic treatment
* Provide chairside support during the extraction of teeth and minor oral surgery
* Principles of infection control - in the dental environment
* Assessment of oral health and treatment planning
* Dental radiography
* Scientific principles in the management of oral health diseases and dental procedures
How you will learn
You will learn as you carry out your normal duties, with the support of an Assessor who will visit you in your workplace. Training sessions in College will provide you with the specialist knowledge underpinning your practical experience and enabling you to complete the externally-marked theory test.
How you will be assessed
You will be allocated a workplace assessor who will develop an individual learning plan and will guide you to develop a portfolio of evidence to meet the learning outcomes. You will also be required to sit 4 online exams during the course
You must be working as a trainee dental nurse in a dental practice with a minimum of 18 hours chairside responsibilities per week.
Course Costs (subject to change)
Price on application.
Wakefield College offers various courses which can be used as Continuing Professional Development for dental care professionals. Please visit our Services to Business website at www.servtobusiness.co.uk for a full list of training courses or telephone them on the number given below.
With further experience and training you could progress to a career in oral health education, radiography or dental hygiene.
How to apply
Please complete a part-time application form.
If you require an application form or details on how to enrol, please contact Course Information on 01924 789111 or Services to Business on 01924 789715.
If you require further information please contact:
Jayne Smart in Services to Business on 01924 789715 or at email@example.com.
For further details of other courses and training available to organisations through the College, visit www.servtobusiness.co.uk.