Study With Us

We offer a huge range of courses to suit all ages, abilities and aspirations

HNC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction Pathway)

Course Name 
HNC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction Pathway)Available for Enquiries

Course Details

Location Castleford Campus
Level Level 4
Start Date Late September and Mid January
Duration 2 years
Time of Day Day
Mode of Study Part time
Awarding Body Pearson Edexcel BTEC
Offering Code HCL4CON1D000; HCL4CON1D001
Programme Design and Overview

This course is a specialist vocational programme that links to the requirements of industry and professional bodies, and is available as 8 or 10 units of study. It has national recognition by employers which allows you direct progression to employment. The course offers a flexible approach to learning and aims to develop your skills and knowledge and help you to gain entry into the professional institutions associated with the sector.

If you choose to study option one or two, you'll complete the 10-unit qualification, which will allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND after completing this course. If you choose to study option three, you'll complete 8 units of study, which will not allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND.

Indicative Content

Modules studied can include:

• design principles and application
  • science and materials
  • applied mathematics
  • management principles and application
  • group project in the construction industry
  • health, safety and welfare
  • site surveying procedures
  • project management
  • environmental impact of construction
  • personal and professional development
Delivery Methods You’ll learn through a combination of formal and informal sessions including practical, resource-based learning activities together with work-based learning. Tutorial back-up relates both to the subject matter and individual mentoring. You can expect that the tutor to learner ratio tends to be concentrated at 1:12. This allows the individual needs of the HE learner to be met.
Nature of Assessments on the Programme Assessment takes place throughout the academic year to assess how you have applied the knowledge. It is anticipated that the breakdown for assessment will be: 10% class exercise; 20% presentation; 70% assignment work.
Entry Requirements National Certificate, Diploma or Award in Construction or equivalent qualification
or
Those with previous experience or learning that is relevant may be eligible via our APL process for accreditation towards this course
Attendance Expectations 2 years, 1 day per week, 10 units of study. Day of attendance expected to be Tuesday.
Fee Information

These fees relate to 2017/18

Tuition Fee: £TBC per year.

Home and EU students on their first higher education course who are studying at least 25% of a full time equivalent course can apply for a non-means tested tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Different fees apply to international/overseas students and those studying this qualification as a standalone course.

Additional Course Costs

The following costs should be used as a guide only. Arrangements apply to 2016 entry.

Printing and photocopying costs:
There is no charge for course hand-outs, handbooks etc. Students will receive a printing credit of £10 per annum from the University Centre, after which students will have to pay for extra credits.

Library overdue charges:
Overdue charges apply to all library loans to encourage you to return any resources you borrow on time. Overdue charges are 5p per day per book.  There is no charge for e-books rentals.

Graduation Ceremony:
When you graduate, we will invite you to your graduation ceremony. It is free for you to attend, however, to take part you will need to pay to hire an academic robe to wear during the ceremony. Details can be found here: www.edeandravenscroft.com/graduation-services.

Financial Support Information

The government provides financial assistance to help pay for tuition fees and to help with living costs. To find out more, visit the website at: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

We have a strong commitment to widening access to higher education, and to help we have a range of bursaries and scholarships to support eligible students starting a higher education course with us in September. To find out more, email: hebursaryfund@wakefield.ac.uk

For more information on any funding or money matter issues please contact the Financial Support Team. Get in touch on 01924 789283 or email: student.finance@wakefield.ac.uk

Further Study

You'll complete the 10-unit qualification, which will allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND after completing this course. If you choose to study option three, you'll complete 8 units of study, which will not allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND.

This course is recognised as a qualification in its own right and students of the 10 unit framework can follow this course with study of a HND such as our HND Diploma Construction and the Built Environment or you may be able to progress to the second year followed by the third year of a degree to obtain an honours degree.

Career Opportunities This qualification is a step on the way to professional status within the construction industry, giving you access to the professional associations connected with the sector. Careers exist within construction management, quantity surveying, building surveying, and architecture.
How to Apply Please complete a part-time HE/Professional application form. If you require an application form or details on how to enrol, please contact Course Information on 01924 789111.
Admissions Process For details on higher education admissions procedures, please see the 'Admissions Code of Practice' document on the Wakefield College website: http://www.wakefield.ac.uk/higher-education/he-policies
Disability Support Information

We’re committed to a programme of support to ensure that the Equality and Diversity policy is fully effective. We recognise the importance of effective support mechanisms in enabling all students to achieve their potential and will continue to improve provision for students with a disability.

The Additional Support Service is responsible for supporting disabled learners and those with language support needs. The earlier you request support, the quicker it can be provided, so if you know you’ll need support or adjustments, contact us in good time before your course starts. Get in touch on 01924 789120 or email us at: Additionalsupportenquiries@wakefield.ac.uk

For Further Details Please contact Patrick Murray by email: P.Murray@wakefield.ac.uk. Alternatively, contact Course Information on 01924 789111.
Case Study

"I used to work as an Administrator, but I decided that I wanted to be more involved in the construction side of the business. However, I didn't have the right qualifications, so my employer agreed to pay for my National Certificate to enable me to move into the role of Junior Project Manager. When I completed it I asked them if they would be willing to support me to do my HNC. They happily obliged and as a result I have now just completed my fourth year here at Wakefield.

"I feel very lucky as I am part of the first construction group to complete this course at the Castleford Campus and was lucky enough to visit the site whilst it was under construction.

"Throughout my course my tutors were brilliant and were always there to offer their support and advice. The facilities and resources at the College are excellent and really do help you learn.

"This course has certainly given me a greater understanding of my job and also opened my eyes to the other opportunities that having a nationally recognised qualification can offer. I have definitely seen my skills improve and develop, for example my time management and organisational skills are much better.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wakefield College and made some good friends along the way. It has been a worthwhile and interesting journey."

Amy Weldon, HNC Construction

Course Groups (W) Higher Education, ELCAS
Subject Area (W) Construction & Civil Engineering
Client Group (W) 19+, Higher Education, Higher Education
Search Ref (W) 58620
Website Ref (W) X4QMEW3AX9, DJGGXRY64B, ZQKZ2B344R, JG78VD2Y73