Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software

Study With Us

We offer a huge range of courses to suit all ages, abilities and aspirations

HNC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction Pathway)

Course Name 
HNC Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction Pathway)Available for Enquiries

Course Details

Sub Title Construction Pathway
Location University Centre - Wakefield City Campus
Level Level 4
Start Date There are two entry points in the academic year 3rd week in September 3rd week in January
Duration The duration for part time study is 2 years
Time of Day Day
Mode of Study Part time
Awarding Body Pearson BTEC
Professional Body This qualification has been developed to meet the requirements of the following Professional Bodies: *Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors *Chartered Institute of Building *Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
Offering Code HCL4CON1D000; HCL4CON1D001
Programme Design and Overview The BTEC Higher Nationals in Construction and The Built Environment is designed to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the construction and the built environment sector. The qualifications aims to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them. The Higher Certificate is a simplified structure to allow students to gain the essential subject knowledge they need to progress successfully into further study and the world of work. Progression to the Higher Diploma is where they can build specialist skills.
Indicative Content The content of the programme has three components . Core component . Specialist Mandatory component . Optional Component The core component consists of four units 1 - Individual Project 2 - Construction Technology 3 - Science & Materials 4 - Construction Practice and Management The specialist mandatory component consists of two units 5 - Legal and Statutory Responsibilities in Construction 6 - Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification) The optional component consists of two units 13 - Tender & Procurement 15 - Principles of Refurbishment
Delivery Methods You’ll learn through a combination of formal and informal sessions including practical, resource-based learning activities together with work-based learning. Tutorial back-up relates both to the subject matter and individual mentoring. You can expect that the tutor to learner ratio tends to be concentrated at 1:12. This allows the individual needs of the HE learner to be met.
Nature of Assessments on the Programme Assessment takes place throughout the academic year to assess how you have applied the knowledge. It is anticipated that the breakdown for assessment will be: 10% class exercise; 20% presentation; 70% assignment work.
Entry Requirements For students who have recently been in education, the entry requirements are to include one of the following: * A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and The Built Environment * A level grades at E or above in more than one relevant subject. This needs to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in English and Maths. Other entry qualifications that will be considered are: * Other related Level 3 qualifications * An Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution * Related work experience * An international equivalent of the above
Attendance Expectations Attendance is one day per week, the day is anticipated to be Tuesday. The day starts at 09:00 and completes at 18:15. The duration of each academic year is 30 weeks.
Fee Information

These fees relate to 2018/19

Tuition Fee: £3300.00 per year.

Home and EU students on their first higher education course who are studying at least 25% of a full time equivalent course can apply for a non-means tested tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Different fees apply to international/overseas students and those studying this qualification as a standalone course.

Additional Course Costs

The following costs should be used as a guide only. Arrangements apply to 2016 entry.

Printing and photocopying costs:
There is no charge for course hand-outs, handbooks etc. Students will receive a printing credit of £10 per annum from the University Centre, after which students will have to pay for extra credits.

Library overdue charges:
Overdue charges apply to all library loans to encourage you to return any resources you borrow on time. Overdue charges are 5p per day per book.  There is no charge for e-books rentals.

Graduation Ceremony:
When you graduate, we will invite you to your graduation ceremony. It is free for you to attend, however, to take part you will need to pay to hire an academic robe to wear during the ceremony. Details can be found here: www.edeandravenscroft.com/graduation-services.

Financial Support Information

The government provides financial assistance to help pay for tuition fees and to help with living costs. To find out more, visit the website at: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

We have a strong commitment to widening access to higher education, and to help we have a range of bursaries and scholarships to support eligible students starting a higher education course with us in September. To find out more, email: hebursaryfund@wakefield.ac.uk

For more information on any funding or money matter issues please contact the Financial Support Team. Get in touch on 01924 789283 or email: student.finance@wakefield.ac.uk

Further Study

You'll complete the 10-unit qualification, which will allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND after completing this course. If you choose to study option three, you'll complete 8 units of study, which will not allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND.

This course is recognised as a qualification in its own right and students of the 10 unit framework can follow this course with study of a HND such as our HND Diploma Construction and the Built Environment or you may be able to progress to the second year followed by the third year of a degree to obtain an honours degree.

Career Opportunities This qualification is a step on the way to professional status within the construction industry, giving you access to the professional associations connected with the sector. Careers exist within construction management, quantity surveying, building surveying, and architecture.
How to Apply Please complete a part-time HE/Professional application form. If you require an application form or details on how to enrol, please contact Course Information on 01924 789111.
Admissions Process For details on higher education admissions procedures, please see the 'Admissions Code of Practice' document on the Wakefield College website: http://www.wakefield.ac.uk/higher-education/he-policies
Disability Support Information

We’re committed to a programme of support to ensure that the Equality and Diversity policy is fully effective. We recognise the importance of effective support mechanisms in enabling all students to achieve their potential and will continue to improve provision for students with a disability.

The Additional Support Service is responsible for supporting disabled learners and those with language support needs. The earlier you request support, the quicker it can be provided, so if you know you’ll need support or adjustments, contact us in good time before your course starts. Get in touch on 01924 789120 or email us at: Additionalsupportenquiries@wakefield.ac.uk

For Further Details Please contact Suzanne Black by email: s.black@wakefield.ac.uk. Alternatively, contact Course Information on 01924 789111.
Case Study

"I used to work as an Administrator, but I decided that I wanted to be more involved in the construction side of the business. However, I didn't have the right qualifications, so my employer agreed to pay for my National Certificate to enable me to move into the role of Junior Project Manager. When I completed it I asked them if they would be willing to support me to do my HNC. They happily obliged and as a result I have now just completed my fourth year here at Wakefield.

"I feel very lucky as I am part of the first construction group to complete this course at the Castleford Campus and was lucky enough to visit the site whilst it was under construction.

"Throughout my course my tutors were brilliant and were always there to offer their support and advice. The facilities and resources at the College are excellent and really do help you learn.

"This course has certainly given me a greater understanding of my job and also opened my eyes to the other opportunities that having a nationally recognised qualification can offer. I have definitely seen my skills improve and develop, for example my time management and organisational skills are much better.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wakefield College and made some good friends along the way. It has been a worthwhile and interesting journey."

Amy Weldon, HNC Construction

Course Groups (W) ELCAS, Higher Education
Subject Area (W) Construction & Civil Engineering
Client Group (W) 19+, Higher Education, Higher Education
Search Ref (W) 58620
Website Ref (W) X4QMEW3AX9, DJGGXRY64B, ZQKZ2B344R, JG78VD2Y73