Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software Skip to main content
My Saved Courses: 0 items

Study With Us

We offer a huge range of courses to suit all ages, abilities and aspirations

Part-time Level 3 Diploma in Preventing Injuries in Sport and Active Leisure (Sports Massage)

Course Name 
Part-time Level 3 Diploma in Preventing Injuries in Sport and Active Leisure (Sports Massage)Available for Enquiries
Course Details
Location Lightwaves - Wakefield City Campus
Location Wakefield City Campus
Level Level 3
Start Date September
Duration 30 weeks
Time of Day Evening
Mode of Study Part time
Awarding Body VTCT
Offering Code DPL3SMT1E000

Course Overview Massage therapy is now a vital part of many sports. Preparing sports performers for competition and helping them recover from intense exercise or injury is a specialised role and the demand for expert therapists is high. Successful completion of this course will give you the knowledge, understanding and skills to work as an employed and/or self-employed sports massage therapist.
What you will Study In this qualification you will develop the knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning the practice of Sports Massage Therapy. Mandatory units include: Functional anatomy, physiology and nutrition for sports therapies, applying sports massage methods, injuries in sport, customer service, employment rights and responsibilities, understanding the active leisure and learning sector, and field-based fitness testing.
How you will Learn Through practical and theory sessions in College. Self-directed study, learning and practice outside College will help you develop your knowledge and skills.
Course Structure The entire course will be conducted in the College’s dedicated massage studio, working with industry-standard equipment and resources. Some of the classes will be theory but most classes will be practical and will involve you practising the skills and techniques with your group.
How you will be Assessed

You will compile a portfolio of evidence which may take a variety of forms, including:

• Observed work
• Witness statements
• Written and oral questioning
• Assignments
• Case studies

There is an externally-assessed exam paper for one of the units.

Entry Requirements It is recommended that you should have achieved a level of education equivalent to five GCSEs at grade A*-C to commence the Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy; however, exemptions may be made for adult returners with experience of the workplace. Applicants must demonstrate an interest in sports massage and a commitment to completing this as an evening course. A basic knowledge of IT would also be beneficial i.e. Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
Attendance Expectations One evening per week (Tuesday) from 6pm - 9pm for 30 weeks.
Fee Information

These fees relate to 2022/23

Course costs for students aged 19 or over - £2,225.00

If you are aged between 19 to 23 and you have not already achieved a full level 3 (or above) qualification, then your course may be free.

If you are aged over 19 and have achieved a full level 3 qualification or are aged over 24 you are probably eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan from the government to cover your tuition fees.

For more detailed information on financial support please contact the Financial Support Team on 01924 789304.

You can also get more details by going to: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/overview.

Different fees apply to international/overseas students.

Further Study Level 4 Sports Massage Therapy.
Career Opportunities Self-employed or freelance work as a sports massage therapist working with your own client base of professional and amateur sports performers. Employment in sports and active leisure industry - gym, health clubs, sporting facilities or spas.
How to Apply

Please complete part-time application form.

If you require an application form or details on how to enrol, please contact Course Information on 01924 789111.

For Further Details

Please contact John Heaton on 01924 789752 or j.heaton@wakefield.ac.uk.

Open Events

To see our upcoming Open Events and to sign-up for priority entry, please click here: https://www.wakefield.ac.uk/college-life/events/

Case Study “An excellent course! I’m working towards my FA Diploma and this course has helped me immensely. Thanks to doing the course and gaining the qualification, I got a job working with the Physiotherapy team at Barnsley Academy assisting with injuries. I’ve also started a business, and work with numerous sports clubs treating seniors and juniors. The course gave me a much better understanding of massage and has truly been of great benefit to me - it’s another string to my bow. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with an interest in massage or sport. Everyone at the College is so supportive and helpful - the staff were excellent and the course was well delivered. If Wakefield College put another course on at a higher level, I’d definitely do it.” John Williamson
Course Groups (W) 19+ Loan
Course Groups (W) Vocational Course
Subject Area (W) Sport
Client Group (W) 19+
Search Ref (W) 58737
Website Ref (W) 80EXZSPGVE
Website Ref (W) ZQKZ2B344R
Website Ref (W) 816L0X3FED
Website Ref (W) 578PIIN6NE
Information last amended: 13 June 2022 11:55

Forthcoming Open Events
Jun
18
Open Day

10.00am, Saturday, 18 June, 2022

Format and location of events are to be confirmed.
Registrations open soon.