Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software Skip to main content
My Saved Courses: 0 items

Study With Us

We offer a huge range of courses to suit all ages, abilities and aspirations

HNC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction) Pearson BTEC

Course Name 
HNC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment (Construction) Pearson BTECAvailable for Enquiries
CK Image
Course Details
Location University Centre - Wakefield City Campus
Location Castleford Campus
Level Level 4
Start Date September or January
Duration 18 months to 2 years
Time of Day Day
Mode of Study Part time
Awarding Body Pearson BTEC
Professional Body This qualification has been developed to meet the requirements of the followingProfessional Bodies: *Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors *Chartered Institute of Building *Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists.
Offering Code HCL4CON1D000; HCL4CON1D001; HCL4CVE1D000; HCL4CVE1D001

Programme Design and Overview

The BTEC Higher National in Construction and The Built Environment is designed to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the construction and the built environment sector.

The qualification aims to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.

The HNC is a simplified structure to allow students to gain the essential subject knowledge they need to progress successfully into further study and the world of work. Progression to the HND Diploma is where they can build specialist skills.

Indicative Content

At Heart of Yorkshire education Group our focus is around employment and with this our HNC programmes are structured on pathways, that provide students with a clear set of skills and goals for further study/employment.

Our pathways are:
• Construction Management
• Architectural technology
• Quantity Surveying
• Civil Engineering

Addressing the Green agenda and promoting digital skills, all our higher students are offered a short Implementation of BIM course prior to the start of the HNC programme, This will support their further study.
Progressing to the HNC programme a total of 120 credits will be studied , over 8 units.

The core content covered by all pathways includes:
• Individual Project (Pearson-set)
• Construction Technology
• Science & Materials
• Construction Practice & Management

Specialist pathways then cover the following over the duration:

Construction Management
• Legal & Statutory Responsibilities in Construction
• Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)
• Tender & Procurement
• Building Information Modelling

Architectural technology Civil Engineering
• Mathematics for Construction
• Principles of Structural Design
• Tender & Procurement

Quantity Surveying
• Measurement & Estimating
• Financial Management & Business

Practices in Construction
• Tender & Procurement

The core component consists of four units:
1 - Individual Project
2 - Construction Technology
3 - Science & Materials
4 - Construction Practice and Management

Delivery Methods You’ll learn through a combination of formal and informal sessions including practical, resource-based learning activities together with work-based learning. Tutorial back-up relates both to the subject matter and individual mentoring. You can expect that the tutor to learner ratio tends to be concentrated at 1:12. This allows the individual needs of the HE learner to be met.
Nature of Assessments on the Programme Assessment takes place throughout the academic year to assess how you have applied the knowledge. It is anticipated that the breakdown for assessment will be: 10% class exercise; 20% presentation; 70% assignment work.
Entry Requirements

For students who have recently been in education, the entry requirements are to include one of the following:

• A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and The Built Environment
• A level grades at E or above in more than one relevant subject.

This needs to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in English and Maths.

Other entry qualifications that will be considered are:
• Other related Level 3 qualifications
• An Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution
• Related work experience
• An international equivalent of the above

Attendance Expectations Attendance is one day per week, the day is anticipated to be Tuesday. The day starts at 09:00 and completes at 18:15. The duration of each academic year is 30 weeks.
Fee Information

These fees relate to 2022/23

Tuition Fee: £3,475.00 per year.

Home and EU students on their first higher education course who are studying at least 25% of a full time equivalent course can apply for a non-means tested tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Different fees apply to international/overseas students and those studying this qualification as a standalone course.

Additional Course Costs The following costs should be used as a guide only. Printing and photocopying costs: There is no charge for course hand-outs, handbooks etc. Students will receive a printing credit of £10 per annum from the University Centre, after which students will have to pay for extra credits. Library overdue charges: Overdue charges apply to all library loans to encourage you to return any resources you borrow on time. Overdue charges are 5p per day per book. There is no charge for e-books rentals. Graduation Ceremony: When you graduate, we will invite you to your graduation ceremony. It is free for you to attend, however, to take part you will need to pay to hire an academic robe to wear during the ceremony. Details can be found here: www.edeandravenscroft.com/graduation-services.
Financial Support Information

The government provides financial assistance to help pay for tuition fees and to help with living costs. To find out more, visit the website at: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

We have a strong commitment to widening access to higher education, and to help we have a range of bursaries and scholarships to support eligible students starting a higher education course with us in September. To find out more, email: hebursaryfund@wakefield.ac.uk 

For more information on any funding or money matter issues please contact the Financial Support Team. Get in touch on 01924 789283 or email: student.finance@wakefield.ac.uk

Employer grants are also available from CITB to support with the costs of this programme.

Further Study

You'll complete the 8-unit qualification, which will allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND after completing this course. If you choose to study option three, you'll complete 8 units of study, which will not allow you to progress to the Level 5 HND.

This course is recognised as a qualification in its own right and students of the 8 unit framework can follow this course with study of a HND such as our HND Diploma Construction and the Built Environment or you may be able to progress to the second year followed by the third year of a degree to obtain an honours degree.

Career Opportunities This qualification is a step on the way to professional status within the construction industry, giving you access to the professional associations connected with the sector. Careers exist within construction management, quantity surveying, building surveying, and architecture.
How to Apply

Please complete a part-time HE/Professional application form.

If you require an application form or details on how to enrol, please contact Course Information on 01924 789111.

Admissions Process For details on higher education admissions procedures, please see the 'Admissions Code of Practice' document on the Wakefield College website: http://www.wakefield.ac.uk/higher-education/he-policies
Disability Support Information

We’re committed to a programme of support to ensure that the Equality and Diversity policy is fully effective. We recognise the importance of effective support mechanisms in enabling all students to achieve their potential and will continue to improve provision for students with a disability.

The Additional Support Service is responsible for supporting disabled learners and those with language support needs. The earlier you request support, the quicker it can be provided, so if you know you’ll need support or adjustments, contact us in good time before your course starts. Get in touch on 01924 789120 or email us at: Additionalsupportenquiries@wakefield.ac.uk

For Further Details

Please contact Suzanne Black by email: s.black@wakefield.ac.uk. Alternatively, contact Course Information on 01924 789111.

Open Events

To see our upcoming Open Events and to sign-up for priority entry, please click here:  https://www.wakefield.ac.uk/college-life/events/

Case Study

"I used to work as an Administrator, but I decided that I wanted to be more involved in the construction side of the business. However, I didn't have the right qualifications, so my employer agreed to pay for my National Certificate to enable me to move into the role of Junior Project Manager. When I completed it I asked them if they would be willing to support me to do my HNC. They happily obliged and as a result I have now just completed my fourth year here at Wakefield.

"I feel very lucky as I am part of the first construction group to complete this course at the Castleford Campus and was lucky enough to visit the site whilst it was under construction.

"Throughout my course my tutors were brilliant and were always there to offer their support and advice. The facilities and resources at the College are excellent and really do help you learn.

"This course has certainly given me a greater understanding of my job and also opened my eyes to the other opportunities that having a nationally recognised qualification can offer. I have definitely seen my skills improve and develop, for example my time management and organisational skills are much better.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wakefield College and made some good friends along the way. It has been a worthwhile and interesting journey."

Amy Weldon, HNC Construction

Course Groups (W) Higher Education
Subject Area (W) Construction & Civil Engineering
Client Group (W) 19+
Client Group (W) Higher Education
Search Ref (W) 58620
Website Ref (W) DJGGXRY64B
Website Ref (W) ZQKZ2B344R
Website Ref (W) JG78VD2Y73
Information last amended: 27 June 2022 14:20

Forthcoming Open Events
Jun
18
Open Day

10.00am, Saturday, 18 June, 2022

Format and location of events are to be confirmed.
Registrations open soon.