Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
My Saved Courses: 0 items

Study With Us

We offer a huge range of courses to suit all ages, abilities and aspirations

HNC Higher National Certificate in Modern Methods of Construction for England (2023)- HTQ

Course Name 
HNC Higher National Certificate in Modern Methods of Construction for England (2023)- HTQAvailable for applications (HE)
Course Details
Location Castleford College
Level Level 4
Start Date September
Duration 18 months to 2 years
Time of Day Day
Mode of Study Part time
Awarding Body Pearson BTEC
Offering Code HCL4MMC1D000

Programme Design and Overview

The purpose of Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Modern Methods of Construction Management for England is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the construction sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them. Having 'for England in the title means this qualificationb is  designed to meet therequirements of specific Occupational Standards. Meeting the requirements of the Occupational Standards relates to:

• Qualifications that are ‘quality marked’ as Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQ)
  • Qualifications that meet the knowledge, skills, and behaviours for identified job roles that are associated with the relevant Occupational Standards
Indicative Content

At Heart of Yorkshire education Group our focus is around employment and with this our HNC programmes are structured on pathways, that provide students with a clear set of skills and goals for further study/employment. Addressing the Green agenda and promoting digital skills, all our higher students are offered a short Implementation of BIM course prior to the start of the HNC programme, This will support their further study.

Progressing to the HNC programme a total of 120 credits will be studied, over 8 units.  

• Core content
• Construction Design Project
• The Construction Environment
• Construction technology
• Principles of Off-site Construction
• Digital Applications for Construction Information OR Digital Applications for Building Information Modelling
• Principles of Alternative Energy
• Tender and Procurement
• Building Information Modelling

Delivery Methods You’ll learn through a combination of formal and informal sessions including practical, resource-based learning activities together with work-based learning. Tutorial back-up relates both to the subject matter and individual mentoring. You can expect that the tutor to learner ratio tends to be concentrated at 1:12. This allows the individual needs of the HE learner to be met.
Nature of Assessments on the Programme Assessment takes place throughout the academic year to assess how you have applied the knowledge. It is anticipated that the breakdown for assessment will be: 10% class exercise; 20% presentation; 70% assignment work.
Entry Requirements

For students who have recently been in education, the entry requirements are to include one of the following:

• A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and The Built Environment
• A level Grade E or above in more than one relevant subject.

This needs to be supported by GCSE grades at A*- C/9 - 4 (or equivalent) in English and Maths.

Other entry qualifications that will be considered are:
• Other related Level 3 qualifications
• An Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution
• Related work experience
• An international equivalent of the above

Attendance Expectations Attendance is one day per week.
Fee Information

These fees relate to 2023/24

Tuition Fee: £3,475 per year

Fees relating to 2024/25 will be available around May/June.

Home and EU students on their first higher education course who are studying at least 25% of a full time equivalent course can apply for a non-means tested tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. For more information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Different fees apply to those studying this qualification as a standalone course.

Additional Course Costs The following costs should be used as a guide only. Printing and photocopying costs: There is no charge for course hand-outs, handbooks etc. Students will receive a printing credit of £10 per annum from the University Centre, after which students will have to pay for extra credits. Library overdue charges: Overdue charges apply to all library loans to encourage you to return any resources you borrow on time. Overdue charges are 5p per day per book. There is no charge for e-books rentals. Graduation Ceremony: When you graduate, we will invite you to your graduation ceremony. It is free for you to attend, however, to take part you will need to pay to hire an academic robe to wear during the ceremony. Details can be found here: www.edeandravenscroft.com/graduation-services.
Financial Support Information

The government provides financial assistance to help pay for tuition fees and to help with living costs. To find out more, visit the website at: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

We have a strong commitment to widening access to higher education, and to help we have a range of bursaries and scholarships to support eligible students starting a higher education course with us in September. To find out more, email: hebursaryfund@wakefield.ac.uk 

For more information on any funding or money matter issues please contact the Financial Support Team. Get in touch on 01924 789283 or email: student.finance@wakefield.ac.uk

Employer grants are also available from CITB to support with the costs of this programme.

Further Study

Career Opportunities The Level 4 units lay the foundation of learning by providing a broad introduction to construction and different construction management functions. This develops and strengthens core skills while preparing students for specialist subjects at Level 5 or to enter employment with the qualities necessary for job roles that require some personal responsibility. Students will gain a wide range of construction knowledge linked to practical skills gained through research, independent study, directed study and workplace scenarios. Students are involved in vocational activities that help them to develop behaviours (the attitudes and approaches required for a competence) and transferable skills. Transferable skills are those such as communication, teamwork, research and analysis, which are highly valued in higher education and in the workplace. By the end of Level 4, students will have sound knowledge of the basic concepts of construction. They will be competent in a range of subject-specific skills as well as in general skills and qualities relevant to key areas of construction.
How to Apply

Please complete a part-time application form.

If you require an application form or details on how to enrol, please contact Course Information on 01924 789111.

Admissions Process For details on higher education admissions procedures, please see the 'Admissions Code of Practice' document on the Wakefield College website: http://www.wakefield.ac.uk/higher-education/he-policies
Disability Support Information

We’re committed to a programme of support to ensure that the Equality and Diversity policy is fully effective. We recognise the importance of effective support mechanisms in enabling all students to achieve their potential and will continue to improve provision for students with a disability.

The Additional Support Service is responsible for supporting disabled learners and those with language support needs. The earlier you request support, the quicker it can be provided, so if you know you’ll need support or adjustments, contact us in good time before your course starts. Get in touch on 01924 789120 or email us at: Additionalsupportenquiries@wakefield.ac.uk

For Further Details

Please contact Suzanne Black by email: sblack@heartofyorkshire.ac.uk. Alternatively, contact Course Information on 01924 789111.

Open Events

To see our upcoming Open Events and to sign-up for priority entry, please click here:  https://www.heartofyorkshire.ac.uk/latest/events/

Case Study

"I used to work as an Administrator, but I decided that I wanted to be more involved in the construction side of the business. However, I didn't have the right qualifications, so my employer agreed to pay for my National Certificate to enable me to move into the role of Junior Project Manager. When I completed it I asked them if they would be willing to support me to do my HNC. They happily obliged and as a result I have now just completed my fourth year here at Wakefield.

"I feel very lucky as I am part of the first construction group to complete this course at the Castleford Campus and was lucky enough to visit the site whilst it was under construction.

"Throughout my course my tutors were brilliant and were always there to offer their support and advice. The facilities and resources at the College are excellent and really do help you learn.

"This course has certainly given me a greater understanding of my job and also opened my eyes to the other opportunities that having a nationally recognised qualification can offer. I have definitely seen my skills improve and develop, for example my time management and organisational skills are much better.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Wakefield College and made some good friends along the way. It has been a worthwhile and interesting journey."

Amy Weldon, HNC Construction

Course Groups (W) Higher Education
Subject Area (W) Construction & Civil Engineering
Client Group (W) 19+
Client Group (W) Higher Education
Search Ref (W) 59696
Website Ref (W) DJGGXRY64B
Website Ref (W) ZQKZ2B344R
Website Ref (W) JG78VD2Y73
Information last amended: 26 March 2024 15:52

Forthcoming Open Events
Jun
15
Open Event

10.00am, Saturday, 15 June, 2024

Wakefield College & Castleford College